Sunday, January 04, 2009

Watering the Dog

Yesterday Scott and I went on a walk with Zachary and Sandy the dog. Usually, every time we take a walk with Sandy, he always ends up barking balistically at certain houses we pass with dogs in the backyard. And if we pass another dog being walked...forget it. One time there was a stray dog roaming. I was by myself with Zachary and we were two streets away from home. That was a disaster walk.

So anyhow, I had been meaning to buy a water gun that works and does not leak. I had bought one about a month ago and it leaked before we even took it outside. My friend Mollie suggested taking a water gun on our walks and squirting Sandy when he barked and went crazy at other dogs. She said it worked well with her dog. Sandy hates water. He always runs when I get the hose out to water the garden.

Well for some reason I haven't been able to locate water guns at the stores I happen to look at. Really, in San Antonio, TX??? So yesterday I filled my watering can with water and took it on our walk.

My advice to you. DO try this with your dogs if they don't like to be watered. It worked great!! Sandy would turn around and look at us if he saw that watering can coming near and resume the sophisticated dog walking model dog as opposed to frantically barking, running, turning in circles, and backing his rear into the stroller (I don't know why he does that but it leaves tire marks on him).

I wonder if some people would think it's cruel, but I prefer it over spanking the dog. And it works much better anyway. So if you have dog walking problems with a dog afraid of water, water your dog.


Here is Sandy's first day at our house after I found him roaming our neighborhood.

No comments: