Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Adult students with Mental Retardation Very Informed about Election

A music therapist sent a story out to our music therapy list serve about her adult students with mental retardation in her social skills class. I found it very moving and inspiring.

I've quoted her story below:



"I taught my social skills class today like I usually do (adults with
mild retardation; one or two with moderate retardation) and it was a
great experience; our theme of course was Election Day. All but one
voted (she is a Canadian citizen and so can't vote obviously). These
folks, even given their cognitive limitations, were far better
informed and asked better questions than most people. We walked about
how in other countries women often don't have the rights they do in
the US; and Amanda brought up that in some countries; people with
disabilities are killed or at best ignored. Touchy subject...so I
asked "why do you think it is that way?" Luigi said "because in those
countries they think people with disabilities are worthless and cost
too much money in education and services". This from a person with
autism......I told them I did not agree, and people in the US did not
agree generally with that--that people with disabilities can and do
contribute--just like they do. They knew most of the names of the
elected officials in our state (the main ones) and a lot of the
cabinet members. Made me want to study and read more as I realize I'm
not always as informed as I should be. These guys keep me on my toes!
I have a lot of respect for them.

Then we set up and decorated for a "get out the vote" luncheon and it
looked great when we were done. It is for everyone in the building
where these classes are held (the rest of the building are various
professional offices; so all those folks were invited to lunch.

Kathleen"

No comments: