Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The 2nd Edition of The "No Milk, No Soy" diet

"Excuse me, would you mind telling me what you cook your food in?", "can I get that without cheese?", and "do you know if your salad dressing contains any soy or milk?" are now common phrases I use whenever we go out to eat now. I grill the waiters/waitresses (no pun intended), to find out every detail I can about what goes into their dishes.

Both of my children have had me on this "no milk, no soy" diet while nursing. We didn't discover Zachary's until he was 4 months old and it seemed that starting solid foods too early had all of a sudden triggered this issue with irregular composition of bowel movements. We discovered Adelyn's allergy when she was 3 weeks. They both were very grunty upon the time we discovered it, but as time went on and we had it under control with this diet, the grunting went away.

The actual allergy is to the PROTEIN in milk and possibly soy, not the lactose. I've heard that maybe it's the way my body processes the protein and I've heard that maybe both of my kids just have this allergy. It's actually a really good thing for me. I am forced to eat healthy. It's so much easier to do knowing that what I eat affects the comfort and health of my children. Pretty much every dessert out there has milk and/or soy in it so I can't eat much of that! Talk about a drop in calories.

So I thought I would post this to share info with all of the other moms who are experiencing this new diet for the health of their children. Even since Zachary was a baby I've discovered more things I can eat. My friend and I have decided that food companies are beginning to make a lot more products that are "natural" and not made with the soy and/or milk.

Although I do feel like I cook the same things over and over again, there are quite a few meals that I am able to eat. Here are a few meals and foods that are safe to eat.

  • Tacos- hard shell, ground beef, refried beans (some brands, check labels), guacamole, tomatoes, lettuce, other veggies, and own spices (not packets).
  • Sloppy joes- meat, red wine vinegar, onions, brown sugar, ketchup (no worchestershire)
  • Chili- use your own spices, not packett.
  • Chicken stew/meat stew- Chicken, potatoes, carrots, onion tops, add flour to make it thicker (no cream of mushroom soup).
  • Red Beans and Rice with Sausage- Onion, olive oil, sausage, dark red kidney beans, bay leaf, Tony Chacherie.
  • Meats marrinated in red wine or balsamic vinegar and spices
  • Steamed or roasted vegetables- can use olive oil, etc
  • Bruchetta- Tomatoes, basil, garlic powder, choppped, mixed- put on chibata bread
  • Eggs
  • Pork chops or meats cooked in whole grain bread crumbs
  • Tyson's NATURAL chicken nuggets
  • Chick Fil A chicken STRIPS, not the nuggets. (nuggets dipped in non fat dry milk, but the strips are not).
  • Salad with oil and vinegar
  • Spaghetti with regular tomatoe sauce. Add your own spices
  • Hamburgers made from pure ground beef
  • Bar S Hotdogs
Bread/cereals
  • Chibata bread- found at HEB in the bakery- square loaf
  • Rudy's Organic Bread- some HEBs, definitely central markets
  • Home made bread- (will post recipe)
  • Some grits- check labels
  • Malt o Meal
  • Some raisin brand, Total, Life (regular flavor), some Cheerios, Lucky Charms, Oatmeal Squares, Corn Chex, Wheat Chex, Rice Chex.
Desserts
  • Coconut milk ice cream (just look out, it has 7 grams of saturated fat)
  • Fruit chillers- found in the canned fruit section. Put them in the freezer.
  • Honey
  • Angel Food Cake
Other
  • Rice Milk
  • Olive Oil
  • Peanut Oil
  • Canola Oil
  • (Not Vegetable oil-made with soybeans)
  • Fritos
  • Lays Natural Potato Chips
  • Popcorn with out butter/cheese (home made cooked in olive oil with lemon pepper is good)
  • Nuts and dried fruit. Can make your own trail mix.
  • Skippy Natural peanut butter or Peter Pan Peanut butter
Foods to avoid
  • Ingrediants with soy, soybean oil, caramel color (milk).
  • Worchestershire sauce- caramel color
  • Bar B Que sauce- check labels
  • Rice Dream Ice Cream- contains soy
  • Frozen Waffles
  • Instant oatmeal
  • Tortillas
  • Coke and dark colored sodas (caramel color)
  • Most bread crumbs except for whole grain.
And I wanted to end with a shout out to the Food and Drug Administration. Thank you for requiring labels!!
  • JIF peanut butter

No comments: