Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Dear Sofia...Snowfia,

One day during the summer before we could drive, we wanted to learn a vocal duet that you had.  It was an arrangement of The Wind Beneath My Wings.  You had it and since we couldn't come to each other you taught it to me over the phone.  We were so proud of ourselves and we had a great time singing it that day and there after.  I cherish that day and of course many more great times we had.  You played a big part in my life.  You gave me strength, encouragement, laughter, joy, appreciation for the things around me, knowledge, music, and much more. This week has been hard knowing that you are gone from the earth and that I do not have any more chances to make more memories with you.  So I re-wrote the duet to fit you.  It helped with the grieving and I'm glad I have something to sing to you. Your life and journey was so inspirational in so many ways. I will always cherish our friendship.  The piece goes like this.

The Wind Beneath My Wings- Larry Henley and Jeff Silbar
For Sofia V. Mendez

I know you felt cold in a shadow.
But then you felt sunlight on your face.
You always had a natural shine.
But smiled and encouraged from behind.

You searched through life to find your calling.
You inspired us all and gave us strength.
Beautiful face and angel voice.
You followed your dream and made your choice.

Chorus
Did you ever know that you're my hero
So much of what I'd like to be.
I can fly higher than an eagle.
You helped form the wind beneath my wings.

Your gusto for life and your compassion
Put hope and joy in our hearts.
So full of love and full of truth.
I wouldn't be the same without you.

Chorus

Second Chorus
Did I ever tell you you're my hero
You helped me decide who to be.
I can fly higher because you loved me.
You helped form the wind beneath my wings.


So maybe I'll record it sometime and give it to your parents. I'm sure they want to know everything about you.  You were so loved by so many people.  Your example inspires us to follow our dreams and persevere.
love,
Eng a ling

1 comment:

gramsieles said...

It's so fitting, Eng! what a beautiful tribute to Sofia, your beloved friend!