Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Motivation to do anything

I guess we don't really think about all of the little things that motivate us to do pretty much anything each day, from getting up in the morning to going to bed at night. I don't always think about the fact that we have to have something motivate us to make our feet hit the floor in the morning. For me, its usually my son's voice on the monitor letting me know that it's time for breakfast. Anyone who works must have some drive in order to go. I guess that could be money and hopefully a love of what you get to do there. Motivation to do things like eat, have never been a problem for me. I'm glad to eat, especially if its chocolate flavored. Going to bed is never a problem either. I like my sleep and I want enough of it. I know that there are some people who struggle with one, two or even all three of those basic necessities.

My family celebrates lent every year. It's a great time to take a deeper look at ourselves and find room for improvement which effects us and those who are part of our lives. Making some type of sacrifice also gives me more appreciation for what God did/does for us. Usually I give up desserts which always does me a lot of good and gets me back into better eating habits.

This year, I chose something different. First of all, I gave up desserts and pretty much all packaged food when I went on the "no milk, no soy" diet for Zachary when we found out he had an allergy to the protein in milk and possibly soy. So instead, I'm trying to do little tasks that I'm usually not motivated to do around the house right as they occur. For example instead of a letter lying around that I need an address for, I make myself look it up right away rather than putting it off because I "don't feel like it" which is something I often do. A lot of times I don't even realize I'm doing it. So far, I feel more productive, organized, and less stressed. Also, people appreciate my promptness if it involves them. Especially Scott. The task really doesn't take more than a few minutes. It forces me to make decisions that I put off whether its finding a place for something in the house or deciding if I'm going to attend a shower I've been invited to so I can mail off the response. I'm hoping to make this a permanent habit.

Having motivation seems to me, to have a lot to do with the way we look at ourselves. If we have a skewed view of ourselves and our worth, we may not see much reason to get up in the morning. I think its important to remember that we are important and deserve happiness because of the fact that we exist in this world, not because of our success, our looks, and our social status.

Dr. David Burns in his book "Feeling Good" talks about how you can change the way you feel if you can change the way you think.

An intense lack of motivation can make any task seem difficult. You don't feel like doing anything because you feel bad. You may feel even worse because you aren't getting things done. It's a vicious cycle.

Dr. Phil has some great advice for a "Formula of Success". Two of them relate to becoming motivated. These are "passion" and "vision". Make a list of things that you were once passionate about or may be now. Have a vision of what goals you want in life. If you are struggling with both of these you may want to seek professional help from someone who can help you discover why you aren't passionate and how to fix that.

If you struggle with lack of motivation to do little tasks like me, join me in the challenge of taking care of these tasks as they occur (as long as priorities allow, such as feeling children :).

To read more advice from Dr. Phil go to:
http://www.drphil.com/articles/article/15







No comments: