Monday, February 25, 2008

Weekly Cleaning-Why its good to have a routine

I came to thinking this weekend....I don't know what I would do without my weekly cleaning schedule. It's become an ingrained habit. I have 1 or 2 chores listed for each week day that I try to get accomplished after I get Zachary and I fed and dressed in the morning.

I used to just get done what I could in a day's time, but that always left me trying to do too much and getting overwhelmed because really, there's always something else to do. There were also some days when chores did not get done because of other random activities or tasks that came up. It slowed chores down and since I did not have a specific time set aside during the day it was easy to forget or miss because of other things going on.

So anyway, I love my cleaning routine that I've had for over a year now. I never feel like I HAVE to keep doing chores after the assigned chores are done, just because there may be things that need to be taken care of. I know that I will do them on an assigned day. I have them PROGRAMMED into my week.

My Sample Clean Routine
Mondays- laundry and ironing if the clothes are dry in time.

Tuesdays
- dust furniture, fans, and blinds (rotate upstairs and downstairs each week)

Wednesdays
- Mopping floors (kitchen, bathrooms, and laundry) and vacuuming (rotate upstairs and downstairs each week)

Thursdays
- Bathrooms

Fridays
- Kitchen cleaning (counters, microwave, table, blinds, sink, and stove)

These chores are the weekly chores. There are more chores that need to be done, oh, say once a month, and others that are like annual or bi annual chores.

I try to get the chores started while Zachary is awake and playing with toys in the morning, but sometimes if he needs my attention or it's just taking a long time, I finish up during his morning nap. When he gets older, I look forward to showing him how to do little things to help me. I'm hoping he will be willing to do so, even if it takes me a little longer to do them. Right now, he's into banging on the large round laundry powder bucket from Sams. It's a perfect height for him and he's entertained while I'm doing the laundry.

Getting started
When first starting this routine it may be difficult to feel confidence in it if you have not been keeping up with the chores. If you're dusting and it just seems like the dust is never ending, just do as much as you can within a certain time frame. In a weeks time, when it is time to do that chore again, it can't possibly be as bad as it was the first week and maybe you will be able to meet your goal.


  • Set Goals
  • Sit down and come up with a schedule.
  • Program this into your day. Decide when you will do chores and how long you have to do them.
  • Make it fun! Put on your favorite music and open the blinds to let in some light!
  • Imagine what a clean house will look like. A mental image can give you the motivation to get started and form a habit.

No comments: