Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Kitchen Helpers

I'm developing more kitchen stories of Zachary as he helps me more and more with the cooking and baking.

  • One day we were baking something, I can't recall what, but it required eggs. I had actually already cracked both of the eggs we needed and put them in. While I washed my hands and my back was turned to Zachary, and who else in the world would have turned their back to wash their hands while there was an egg carton 3/4 of the way full next to their son, I don't know, but I did and then I heard the "uh oh". When I do have the courage to turn back around I see that half of the eggs are dumped into our mixing bowl whole and half are on the floor in the carton. Oh I remember now, we were making French Toast. Scott was asleep in our room on a Saturday morning, Bill was asleep in his room for his first San Antonio weekend, and I was suppose to be making progress in the kitchen with a nice country style Saturday morning breakfast. Well, with all of my half way suppressed screeches I scared off any chances of anyone else waking up to come to the kitchen. Whose fault was it of course? Mine yes. I should not have assumed that Zachary had observed enough to know that you have to, first of all crack eggs open to use them and second, think that he should wait for me to do so. :)
  • On July 8, 2009 we baked a chocolate birthday cake for Daddy, cooked spaghetti noodles, made a home made marinera sauce, and was in the process of making meatballs as well. I thought for some reason that it would be a good idea to leave the spices out on the island next to Zachary who was standing on a chair to help me prepare and cook. So while I was stirring the sauce, the noodles and flipping meatballs around Zachary thought he would make sure all of the pepper looked okay and test it out to also make sure it felt nice. When i turned around I saw that their was a lovely sculpted mound of pepper in the bottom portion of our mixer (the bowl had been removed). When Zachary realizes he's done something wrong he'll either put his little hand to his head or he'll cover his ears. It breaks my heart so as I smelled pepper I tried to just explain as calmly as my nose would let me. I think he got it, but it sure was fun so who knows if it will happene again.

No comments: