Saturday, July 04, 2009

My silly dogs

I still consider the dogs at my parents house, "my dogs". One of them grew up with me, (Zara) and the other is new (Fiona), but still my family. They are both springer spaniels although Zara looks slightly unusual for a springer.

My very first dog was named Alicia, also a springer. She was so beautiful and sweet, yet feisty if she was hunting or securing the yard. A great bird and gecko hunter too. She lived to be 17 years and passed away when I was a senior in college. So not too long ago. She still has my heart.

Zara is 11 years old and her personality is sweet and lazy. She's also got to be touching you at all times, usually accomplished by sitting on your foot. Somehow she never misses; knows exactly where to aim. Her favorite game to play with Berch was hide and seek. She was always the seeker waiting in the laundry room until she heard Berch call for her. She used her nose and ALWAYS found him. Even when he was hanging from a door frame. She stopped underneath and was puzzled until she looked up. Her head is small and her body is quite large. She kept Alicia young and active for many years but she's definitely slowing down. Exercise is not on her list of "to dos".

Fiona, I wish I could get to know better but we're just not in the woodlands long enough. She has a very funny personality. Another one of those dogs who likes to hear her own bark. She's always got some mission she's on. If she's not inspecting the yard she's inspecting you.

I wish I would have written down all of the funny stories from my dogs. The latest one happens to be about Fiona.

Mom was cleaning the pool this past week. She used the net to fish things out. Fiona was going bananas on the side running back and forth around the pool, whining like crazy. Mom looked at her and then followed Fiona's eyes in the pool. Oh, a dead frog. "Okay, hang on I'm going to get it out" Mom said. Fiona paced back and forth a few feet here and there, finally just couldn't stand it anymore, jumped in the pool next snatched the frog and swallowed it whole. Mom was shocked. Nothin like raw frog legs.

1 comment:

Scott said...

Nothing like raw frogs legs is right. I love em with a little tabasco.