Sunday, November 29, 2009

I'm Pretending Mommy! I'm Pretending Daddy!

Last week sometime on a weekday morning, I was delighted to find out from Zachary that Cookie Monster spent the night in our guest room. I had not expected this. I didn't even know he was coming, otherwise I would have fixed up the room and left him a midnight cookie snack by the bed.
And wouldn't you know, when I finally did find out this information, Cookie Monster had already gone downstairs to the garage to help us fix the cars. I'll have to tell Zachary to invite him over more often. I'm sure if I keep enough cookies in the house it shouldn't be a problem.

Zachary's imagination has really grown in the past few months. Sometimes it's a problem when he's scared at night. Like when there are monkeys and airplanes in his room at bedtime, but most of the time it's delightful to hear about and participate in. He even told both Scott and I today that he was pretending by saying, "I'm pretending Mommy! I'm pretending Daddy!".
It's nice to know that he has learned to understand the concept.

About two weeks ago on a Thursday or Friday morning, Zachary took me to see the Wiggles at SeaWorld in our kitchen. We got the front row chairs closest to the refrigerator. Zachary was a star performer! He rode his tricycle and requested an audience member to sing some of the Wiggles' songs for him. And I was the lucky winner of course! So we delighted in singing, "Big Red Car", "Fruit Salad", "Hot Potato", and "Do the Monkey". I can't wait to find out what else our kitchen might have in store for us.

There are other moments that he's informed me of his outings or adventures in his mind.

Riding his tricycle he says "I'm going to the Zoo!" or "I'm going to Sea World!"

It's also nice to hear him singing songs. I'm excited to know that he is coming along in his development of audidation of pitch and rhythm. It's not perfect of course, but I can see the progress. Favorite songs that I hear him singing are:
"Do You Know the Colors of the Rainbow"
"The Rainbow Song"
"Itsy Bitsy Spider"
"Wheels on the Bus"
"Bob the Builder"
"5 Little Monkeys"

Tonight after we finished singing "Do You Know the Colors of the Rainbow" and saying prayers, I began to pull the sheets up for Zachary and he began singing, "Daddy's gonna take me to the zoo tomorrow. Zoo tomorrow. Zoo tomorrow".
Well, I'm going to have to talk to Scott about this! I certainly didn't know he was taking off of work to go to the zoo! And if he is, I'd like an invitation!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am am excited too with this question. Prompt, where I can find more information on this question?